SCCM: Content downloaded to the client does not match the content specified in the content source

By , January 11, 2009 3:09 pm

There are some software packages that introduce a lot of interesting complexities that SCCM  2007 gets confused by. One of the applications that I was trying to test and deploy was giving me a particularly interesting problem: all of the clients downloaded the package, but when they checked the content, it did not match the source.

The error, which had an ID of 10057, was found by going to System Status -> Advertisement Status -> <advertisement name> -> Show Messages on the actions pane:

The program for advertisement “SIT00001 has failed because download of the content “SIT00029″ – “Per-system unattended” has failed. The download failed because the content downloaded to the client does not match the content specified in the content source.

Possible causes: The content on the distribution point has been manually modified, or a local administrator on the computer has modified the content in the computer’s hash. Solution: Refresh the content on the distribution point and retry the download.

The solution seemed obvious: update the distribution points. But multiple tries, including recreating the package and advertisement completely, did not fix the problem. Finally, I stumbled upon a forum post that helped me narrow the problem down to one of two scenarios:

Binary Differential Replication – If this is enabled in the package configuration, some packages seem to fail. I’m assuming that they can’t handle this kind of replication and several of the files become corrupt, creating a hash mismatch. This can be turned off by opening up the package properties, going to the Data Source tab, and unchecking Enable binary differential replication. This wasn’t my problem because I hadn’t enabled binary differential replication.

Hidden Files – Apparently, if the package source contains hidden files, SCCM may not calculate the correct hash for the package and clients could encounter an error. I found a quick way to check this using the command line:

  1. Open up a command window in the root director that contains your package source files.
  2. Type Dir /S /A:H and hit enter. Depending on the package, you may be presented with several directories with multiple hidden files.
  3. Trying to remove the hidden attribute on all the files with the GUI would be tedious, so just use this command instead: attrib -H /S
  4. Update the distribution points.

The package finally verified properly and the advertisement completed.


8 Responses to “SCCM: Content downloaded to the client does not match the content specified in the content source”

  1. [...] mismatch)” failure message. Upon receiving this error message, I came across a blog post by Matthew Boyd that referred to the following: Binary Differential Replication – If this is enabled in the [...]

  2. Marz says:

    Thanks for the tips. I had the same issue. Attrib -h worked for me!

  3. Erik Nilsson says:

    Thank you so much!

    After 3 months of not beeing able to deploy Office, i finally found this blog post.

    We hade 3 thumbs.db files hidden in our Office templates. We had been looking for hidden files earlier on, but they didn’t show up as they are “operating system files”.

    With your dir command I was able to find and delete them.

    Amazing.

  4. Greg Tate says:

    Thank you for this post! It does solve the problem but…

    We are seeing something similar and I am hoping this will generate a response. We have 4 sites, 1 central and 3 primary. 2 of the primary distribute the hidden files with no issue, but one site gives us the hash error on the hidden files. If the hidden attribute is removed, the issue goes away.

    Any thoughts?

    • Dorian says:

      Most of the time, I’ve seen this happen because of Thumbs.db. I’d recommend disabling the creation of this file on remote shares via GPO, and going through your source and deleting them when/if found. They’re also System files in addition to Hidden, so you’ll have to “attrib -h -s /s” using the above example before deleting them.

  5. Yuad says:

    I solved the problem by renaming the _source_ folder, and the forcing a distribution point update. Nothing else worked; not even deleting the application and recreating it.

    • Lou says:

      Yuad your resolution worked for me. Thanks. I also had tried deleting and recreating it and was still having issues until i just renamed my folder the content was in and updated the DP

Leave a Reply

Panorama Theme by Themocracy